Saturday, December 26, 2009

Armor Month Day 26

So, I was planning something radically different for my post today than what I am about to show you, but life intervened. I was trying to help my wife sort through some second hand items that my mother had brought up from Ridgecrest, when I suddenly felt a sharp pain on the middle finger of my left hand.I had been stung by a scorpion! Crap! I stood up, trying not to freak out, and stomped on it. It was still alive. I stomped it again, still alive. I scooped it up in a box while my wife dialed poison control, and it was still alive by the time the fire department and EMTs showed up. So, on an otherwise fairly uneventful day, I got stung by a scorpion for the first time (Hell, I don't think I have even seen a scorpion before), and got to ride in an ambulance for the first time.

Now, none of us (or the firefighters or EMTs) knew anything about scorpion stings. But I had the scorpion still in the box, and the ambulance had internet, so the EMT and I looked through to figure out what kind of scorpion it was. Turns out it was this...An Arizona Bark Scorpion. Of the 60 types of scorpions in CA/AZ it is one of 2 that is poisonous, and the more poisonous of the two. And they are fairly uncommon. Guess that makes me the lucky one. The site we found the info from has this to say...

The venom of this scorpion may produce severe pain and swelling at the site of the sting, numbness, frothing at the mouth, difficulties in breathing (including respiratory paralysis), muscle twitching, and convulsions.

The Bark Scorpion is very venomous, if stung, call your local Poison control center and go to the nearest hospital or personal physician for antivenin treatment.

So, how this relates to armor is that scorpions are arthropods, or exoskeletal, so their 'skins' are their bones as well. It is made of a material called chitin, which is apparently some tough stuff, because the little bugger got stomped on twice, and was still alive through the whole trip to the hospital.

Now not to worry, your friend the Counterfett is a pretty tough dude. I ended up not needing the antivenom, which is good, because no one around has it anyway. The pain was incredible, as the exerpt from above attests, and there was swelling, and a hot feeling on the whole hand. However, with no other symptoms present they discharged me to my wife's care, letting us know to watch out for any other symptoms of neurotoxin poisoning, including heart, lung, breathing, or brain problems. Silly Doctors, there aint nothing wrong with my brain that wasn't already wrong!


3 comments:

Erin said...

Glad you are alive!!! You show those scorpions who's boss.

Gabriella Barrett said...

Glad you are ok.
Today I caught one of those!
It is taking a nap in a jar.

Gabriella Barrett said...

I am glad you are ok.
I caught one of those, today. He is taking a nap in a jar!