Friday, January 8, 2010

Row, row, row your boat...

The question is how gently. Last night, during my semi-daily quest online to find interesting things to look at, I happened upon this...
A weaponized oar! It's called an Eku (or eiku, or ieku, whatever), and is a traditional part of okinawan martial arts. It uses the same moves as naginata (similar to halberd, or bayonet, for that matter) so I already sort of know how to use it. 'Course, it's an oar...how many justifiable situations will I have an oar along with me? Not many that I can think of, now that I live inland.
Anyway, the Okinawans were being trained by the Japanese as a first line of defense against a chinese invasion, but pretty much had to use what was at hand, with no funds for better weaponry. The example shown above is a specialized fighting Eku, with a rounded end and a ridged spine on the top. Fairly cool, really.

No comments: