Monday, January 25, 2010

Why Problems Don't Look Like Nails...

You ever heard that expression, "When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail?"
For no reason whatsoever, the question of using a hammer in a fight came up today. And, it's true, a hammer is a handy piece of equippage in a short range fight. So I came home, intent upon blogging about the wonderful close quarters battle implement that is in every house, and how women living on their own and the elderly should look to their toolbox in a defensive crisis. I looked through my toolbox. Yes, I am manly enough to have a toolbox. I looked through my other toolbox. Yes, I am manly enough to have two toolboxes. No hammer. Why don't I have a hammer? Well, as it happens I do, a nice Vaughn Framer, and an Estwing Geologists Pick. Problem is, they are down in Ridgecrest at my Parents' place, along with most of my other Manfrenalia.

What I do have, though, is an excellent Estwing Hatchet.

It's an all-steel model, and came with a nice tan leather sheath with embossed pinecones on it (I thought they were pineapples for a lot of years, but that just did not make any sense). It's seen some pretty rough use, and I can't quite remember why I have it. I think my dad gave it to me because he did not want me to buy one a few years back. It is a terrific hatchet though, and a half-decent tomahawk in a pinch.

For those interested in learning to use a tomahawk for defense, try here

2 comments:

bobby said...

Hammers are better,.......

CounterFett said...

Hammers are NOT better. A good tomahawk has a hammer poll, AND a hatchet blade. Better, Better, BETTER!