Monday, February 22, 2010

Another Project I'll Never Get Around To.

I admit, there are a lot of cool projects I intend to do, and either never start or never finish. My ongoing shield project, for instance, or perhaps my perpetually half finished set of mandalorian armor. Well, here is another one I have been thinking about but will probably never get off my butt long enough to actually finish...
A self-spear! The term is taken from archery, where self-bow means a bow hand carved by the archer from a single piece of wood. They are typically not highly efficient, but get the job done and give a sense of 'ownership' to the sportsman who crafted and wielded them. Well, a self-spear is the same idea. Instead of buying a spear online, I could take one of the hafts I have laying around, or even pick a really good one up from the hardware store, and carve a tip. Then, I would fire harden the point so as to make it durable enough to stick a coyote.

The two shown above are wooden spears, and more lavishly decorated than what I will likely turn out, but they give the gist. The good news is that I know how to fire harden, and have in fact, done so as early as the 3rd grade. Just one more of the wonderful things my Dad taught me to do at a safety inappropriate age. Yay, playing with matches!

I will keep you updated with the progress (or lack thereof) of this project.

No comments: