Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Clone Wars!

I know, it's about time I start getting back to something at least marginally related to the name of this post, right? Well, last night, I caught the new Clone Wars. It was pretty good. It was the third installment in the "Death Watch" cycle.

I both love and hate these so far. On the one hand, Mandos in a fistfight with Obi-Wan...good. Weird, pacifist, unarmed Mandalorians, bad. Duchess Satine's armored bodyguards batting away battle droids and blaster bolts with their staffs, good. Mandalore the planet not looking anything like it's been described in other media, bad. Using an obscure EU fan favorite group like the Death Watch, good. Making them something other than what they originally were, bad. And don't even get me started about changing Concord Dawn to Concordia.

Be that as it may, it is actually well put together, has good plot points, decent action, and is quite entertaining. What's more, it makes me hope that we will see some Clone Wars style Mandalorian figures in the near future. I'm also hoping for shield & baton Shock Troopers like appeared in last nights episode chasing Satine.

As for Satine herself, well, I am about as split on her as the story arc itself. It's good that she gives Obi a bit of a past, and she makes him more human now that he has a love interest other than Ventress (which was a bit awkward, to say the least). On the other hand, she is incredibly stiff necked, and makes decisions that do not seem to track in terms of logical thinking.

All in all, I think I need to see how they handle this story moving forward, and how they work to tie it in with the already established mythos of the Mandalorians.

2 comments:

Mario! said...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?pid=3524704&id=202559486798

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3524667&id=202559486798

Upcoming Mando figs! Only six months from now.

CounterFett said...

Cool, only six months until I can break the no toys rule with a clean conscience.