Sunday, February 21, 2010

A good hunting spear.

The quest for the ultimate hunting spear continues.

I like shorter spears. This is for a few reasons. First, they are cheaper. I like cheap. Second, the cost of shipping is reduced. Third, I live in an apartment, so storage space is at a premium, and a six foot plus spear can really cramp my style. In addition, the possibility that I might have to use one in a defensive situation means that the shorter, handier, length is more maneuverable.
This one, from Kultofathena.com is what's called a Lugged Spear. The 'wings' or lugs below the spear keep the head from over penetrating. This is important for a number of reasons. It keeps it from getting stuck in an enemies shield, leaving you weaponless. Also, if used for hunting, it keeps a wounded animal from wriggling up the shaft onto you. I have dealt with wounded animals a few times in the past, and something that keeps them at spear-shaft distance seems like a good idea.

No comments: