Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Lesser of Two Evils, Or...The Greater of Two Bowies

After re-reading S.M. Stirling's Change novels, I have decided I might need to get a Bowie knife. I have never had a Bowie before. That still shocks me, when I get right down to it. I have a fair amount of experience with Bowies, up to and including severing stuffed animals found in the store after closing time (God bless the S&W Texas Hold 'Em Bowie). And as nice as some samples that have gone through my fingers might be, I never needed one bad enough to part with the (admittedly) large-ish sum of money needed to make one my own.

That's about to change, I think.
Timber Rattler Outlaw Bowie
Timber Rattler Renegade Bowie

Timber Rattler Bowies are cheap. On the order of 16.99 for the Outlaw, and 15.99 for the Renegade. That makes them even cheaper than my machetes, and we all know how much I value machetes. They are the same length, thickness, and price (well within a dollar anyway). The dilemna here is which should I get? The Outlaw has a longer track record, with scads of good reviews on BudK, and is a full tang design, something I prefer, and which tends to contribute to improved function and longevity. I think the Renegade looks better, and has a bone handle, always a nice touch.

2 comments:

Mario! said...

Hmm, I think the Outlaw looks cooler.

CounterFett said...

Thanks, Mario, I think I am going to end up getting that one.