Friday, February 19, 2010

What's a fella got to do to spear hunt in this state?

Honestly. What gives? Is it somehow more humane to get killed by being shot with a bullet or an arrow than it is to get speared? After discussing hunting this afternoon at lunch, I got intrigued and made a serious look into whether I could pig hunt with a spear in this state. It was as I suspected, that if a weapon is not specifically listed in the code, it cannot be used. This means you cannot use a spear to hunt any large game or small game in California. Boo! There goes my dream of slaying a mountain lion with a lugged spear. Just kidding, I never managed to get drawn for that anyway. Bear either, when you get right down to it.

What it also means, however, is that you can use a spear to hunt for non-game animals, such as coyotes, most rodents, opossums, etc. Now, rarely in the great epics do you hear tell of ancient heroes bravely slaying coyotes with the great spear, but it's a step in the right direction.

And, having successfully hunted a good number of coyotes in my life, I can officially tell you: anyone who gets a coyote with a spear is a good hunter, and someone not to be trifled with.

Now, to get my license renewed and decide what kind of spear I need...

No comments: