Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Thing On My Desktop!

Anyone who knows me or even has a passing familiarity with my blog or work, knows that I am a man of many interests. He-Man, Star Wars, GI Joe, Halo, BattleTech, and Warhammer (40k too!). And that just covers my toy and game interests! As such, it's not a huge surprise to most people that I frequently rotate the image that is the desktop background. Just a cross-section of whatever weirdness is rolling through my head that day. And here's the current slice...That's right, it's a Mawloc! So, a bit of background. The Tyranids are one of the armies playable in Warhammer 40k, and the whole army is made up of insectile, chitinous, clawed monstrocities of one shape or another. The bulk of the army is made up of, largely, things that could be considered ripoffs of either the movie Alien, or the Zerg from Starcraft. But the Mawloc is something special, drawn from a more esoteric source. I'll tell you a little about them, then tell you what it reminds me of, and see how geeky you are by how close you came to what I was thinking...

The Mawloc is a giant subterranean serpent, that claws and tunnels it's way underground. It can detect vibrations of anything moving on the surface. After sensing its prey, the Mawloc erupts from the ground, swallows the unfortunate victim by dragging it into its open maw by harpooning it with a long, hooked tongue. It then tunnels back below the gound and begins the hunt again.

Did anyone else come up with Graboid? I mean honestly, you don't even have to exaggerate to say that the two monsters talents are identical, and when you look close, you'll even see the 'jaw horns' from the Graboid on the model above. It's like the Zer...er, I mean tyranids, saw the movie Tremors, and decided they wanted one of their own.

Because it is such a wonderfully brazen take off on one of my favorite movies, plus it is a cool model and good in the game to boot, it is my Desktop Background of the week.

2 comments:

bobby said...

it's a tapeworm

CounterFett said...

Heh.
I'm glad I don't have one of those then. That looks like it would make it hurt when you poop!