Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Last Chancers.

The Last Chancers Omnibus. I was pretty excited about this one. Got the bee in my bonnet about a week ago, and just wasn't happy until I had it in my hot little hands. It is one of the harder omnis to find these days, and especially so if you are picky about cover damage. I finally picked a decent copy up last week, and while bringing it home in the briefcase, managed to get it all wrinkled up anyway. Figures.

As for the stories themselves, the three different tales averaged as "Very Good" down from "Excellent" only because I was not a big fan of the third book Annihilation Squad. The first book was a good one, with several different missions and an interesting, if somewhat overly byzantine.

The second book Killteam, was the best of the three, with a mission to a Tau world for an assassination. There was a decent amount of humor and action. The storyline and plot were surprising and interesting, and the characters acted like people, with self interest and motives like in a book for grownups. The ending was a bit deus ex machina, but that seems to be an occupational hazard if you read a lot of sci fi.

The third book, Annihilation Squad, as mentioned earlier, was my least favorite of the three, as it seemed unevenful and tedious for much of the middle of the book, with nearly the whole story crammed into the last 50 pages. In addition, large stretches of text were in italics, which I have always had difficulty reading, for some reason. I tended to gloss through these parts. Fortunately, most of them are extraneous daydreams from Kage, the narrative anti hero.

A great read, and if you can find the old version with a cover price of only $10, it is definitely worth picking up.

No comments: