Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Castle Ravenloft Is Out, How Did I Miss This?

Remember earlier when I said it was amazing I had not been distracted by some other new product that had actually been released? No, I don't remember it either, because it has now officially happened.

Sadly, WotC, who actually can keep a release schedule, beat FFG to the punch by releasing Castle Ravenloft: The Board Game. The reason it is sad is that WotC's published release date was much past that set for Deathwatch and Death Angel (when the dates were originally set).

Now, I love me a good random tile based board game with cards and plastic minis. There is a special place in my heart for Heroquest and Battlemasters (yeah, yeah, I know, Battlemasters wasn't tile based). Space Hulk is an all time favorite, and Heroscape is climbing the charts.

Combine that with the legendary gothic horror of the old Ravenloft setting, and we have a winner. I have heard some people gripe about the 'anime' styling that old Strahd has on the cover of the box. While I sympathise, Strahd definitely needed some kind of makeover. Dracula style vampires just don't do it for people anymore. I blame it on Twilight. In any case, it's not that big a deal to me. If it becomes one, I can always switch him for something from my nascent Vampire Counts Army. No shortage of good vampire minis on the market.

Maybe something like this guy...

4 comments:

Onigaijan said...

Nice one. Is it based off the old TSR module, or is it something completely new?

CounterFett said...

It's something completely new, as best I can tell. Looks like it has a lot of the same 'flavor.'

The player characters seem like they are lifted from the miniatures game, but that only makes good sense. I have no doubt that a number of the 'missions,' for lack of a better term, are reminiscent of the original module.

eriochrome said...

You missed it because clearly you where not following my blog:

http://twilight40k.blogspot.com/2010/09/castle-ravenloft.html

The game seems fun from my solo run through of the first mission. Random luck does seem to determine how tough certain missions are since I kept drawing multiple hit point random monsters that would take at least two turns to kill which allowed for another monster to show up also.

A good thing is that it is fast and pretty streamlined rules so you could get people playing in minutes.

CounterFett said...

@ eriochrome...done. Thanks!