Sunday, October 17, 2010

Halo: Reach Noble Six Action Figure Review, Part III

Good morning from All Things Fett this fine Sunday! I hope everyone is having as good a weekend as I am. This is the third and final installment of my review trilogy of the Noble Six figure from the Reach wave of Halo toys. In this edition, we put him up against his fellow protagonists, the armor variations seen in other Halo titles.
From left, we have Red Leader from Halo Wars in Mark IV armor. To my knowledge, this was only available in an two pack with Mk VI master chief (also the only place to get a flamethrower, I think). Mark IV was the first operational suit of Mjolnir armor, and is what the first class of Spartan IIs were equipped with. The Mark IV did not have energy shields, and depended solely upon armor plating for protection.

Second from left is the Mark V. This was a Target exclusive. This paint scheme has not appeared in any of the games, of course, but this was the only Mark V I have ever come across so no worries. This is the first Mark of Mjolnir to incorporate energy shields reverse engineered from Covenant technology. Master Chief wore an olive drab Mark V in Halo: Combat Evolved.

Next is the Mark V[B] as worn by Noble Six in Halo: Reach. I am unclear whether this was an upgrade mark between the V and VI or merely a substitute standard implemented until the Mark VI could be implemented in quantity. It seems to include most of the improvements of the Mark VI, but retains the more bulky armor design of the Mark V.

Far right is Master Chief in the Mark VI as appears in Halo 2 & 3. This is the damaged Halo 3 version of course (I really wish I had bought the 2 version when I had the chance! %&$^#&!). This is the known pinnacle of the Mjolnir system. Plus, it looks awesome.

First impressions after seeing them next to each other like this are that I am very displeased that they made Noble 6 out of scale with the Halo 3 and Halo Wars figures. The Mark V and VI are nearly identical as they are built largely off of the same molds. The Mark IV is an all new cast, as is supposed to look bulkier than the subsequent models, so I don't mind that he looks a little chunkier. Noble Six is an all new sculpt as well, but he should be ballpark in the same size range as the other Mark V. Whatever. Maybe Noble 6 is just a big guy. That would make Jorge a moose.

The actual sculpting and paint applications on Noble 6 seem superior to the previous waves, so I guess I can overlook the size discrepancy. This throws him out of scale to be used with GI Joes, sadly. The master Chief figure, as he is small for a Spartans actual size for the 5" figure scale, puts him about right for being a little larger than the latest waves of (large for scale) 3.75" GI Joes.

5 comments:

Loquacious said...

Where do you find these guys? WM, TRU, Target? Or do you order them online?

CounterFett said...

Yes.

I think only Target and TRU had the Halo 3 line. WalMart has the Reach stuff. But not the WalMart across the street from me of course. I don't think I have bought any online, but I am thinking of doing so for the aforementioned Halo 2 Master Chief.

Gyro said...

My local Kroger is pretty awesome, they've got the Reach figs in stock. I like the post, (and the new profile icon) nice and informative.

I just got the Halo Encyclopedia as a gift over the weekend, it's got some good stuff in there and is worth getting if you haven't picked it up already.

CounterFett said...

I don't have it yet, amazingly. I really want to get it, but can never quite bring myself to get it.

That might be what I get next.

Kyle said...

Noble Six is actually a Spartan-III so their augmentations may have made them slightly larger than the Spartan-IIs