Thursday, October 28, 2010

Legion Of The Darned...Death Company That Work?

Good evening all. Here at the beginning of my three day weekend, I thought I would put something up about much underused and under appreciated entry of Codex: Space Marines...the Legion of the Damned. Of course, I had mentioned some time back that I was considering using these in my upcoming Spartan Marines Project, but we'll see what shakes loose in terms of lists.

Sure they cost a lot of points, but in this case, they actually are worth it. No one can lead them around by the nose with an empty Rhino. Sure they are not as good in an assault as Thunderhammer termies, but then they are not meant to be. I had actually used these some time ago as a points sink because I never had enough models to play at whatever point level we were at. Everyone made fun of the poor choice I was making, but you know what? It worked. This was not an optimized list by any stretch of the imagination. I wish I had stories of how they turned the tide in an epic turn of shooting, clearly making the key difference in the clutch situation, but they do no such thing. They are just an interesting elites choice in a sea of Drop Pod Sternguards.
They are not as bad points wise as a lot of people think, and the Invulnerable save mostly keeps them alive. Slow and purposeful is not as good as relentless, but I never liked getting them into assaults anyway. Shooting on the move is mighty handy though.

Anyway, as always, let me know what you think. Have you used them? Did you like them? Hate them? Have a good setup you want to share?

I mostly use the setup espoused by at Baals-2-the-waals that I read some while back. It works pretty well. Sometimes I make the points back, sometimes I just have to be satisfied by how many turns of shooting my opponent has to spend offing them. Give it a try, you might be pleasantly surprised.

No comments: