Friday, October 1, 2010

Of Fallout And Forty-Fours: A Love Story

As I referenced briefly in the last post, I have been playing the Fallout series ever since the demo of the original Fallout. In that time I have played good characters and bad, brawlers and snipers. I have done all the quests, and skipped all but the most bare bones of main quests.


Forget about fire, Scarecrow, eat a 240 grain semi-wadcutter!
In all of that time, I have had a soft spot in my heart for only two weapons. The first, is the .44 Magnum Revolver. I mean really, it's what a whole generation of movie fans think of as 'The World's Most Powerful Handgun.' Just because it really isn't doesn't mean the king of revolvers has any less of a cachet. It has been a pretty good weapon in all versions of the game, particularly in Fallout 2 where it could be customized to have a speedloader (spending less AP on loading was great, especially with the low ammo count).

Fallout 3 seems to have been even better to the venerable old magnum, with the various .44 magnums being some of the best single hand small guns in the game. If you take the gunslinger perk, you really are set up to take even better advantage of these bad boys. Now, these are not absolutely min-maxed or anything (this is me, I would play at a disadvantage just to look cool), but you can probably play through the majority of the game with a scoped .44 and a hunting rifle as your main weapons. That's not something that can be said of a lot of games, that items you pick up at the beginning continue to be useful through the bulk of the story.

Paulson's Revolver: Look Ma! No Scopes!
An even better version, Paulson's Revolver, is available in the Mothership Zeta DLC, by either pickpocketing or killing Paulson, the abducted cowboy. My pickpocket is always terrible, so I just kill him and eat the firepower disadvantage in the end scene. This version does a little more damage, but does not have a scope. Dirty Harry never needed a scope, so it's good enough for me.

5 comments:

k.Blas said...

I just finished MZ and even though I'm "very evil" I didn't kill Paulson...sad face.

On the other hand, My character has the Dart Gun, Gunslinger Perk, 100 Sneak, and the Chinese Stealth Armor and I can 1 shot kill pretty much everything with the exception of Super Mutant Overlords.

Loquacious said...

I'd give anything to have a witty comment here, but I zone out when my son plays. I just hear a lot of blowing up noises and hope he's "winning".

CounterFett said...

If there are 'lots' of explosions, he's probably doing alright.

It's just when you hear the one explosion, and then nothing, that you are in trouble.

GMort. said...

I have my copy of Fallout : New Vegas on pre-order. I Doubt I'll be blogging much for the first fortnight after that lands on my doorstep.

CounterFett said...

@ Gmort...
I think that is true for me too. I had to take a vacation for each of the fallout releases that occured when I was an adult. I think that would be Tactics, 3, plus the redheaded stepchild of the series, Brotherhood of Steel for PS3.

1 & 2 came out when I was in high school and college, respectively, so my parents pretty much dictated my attendance schedule.