Sunday, October 24, 2010

Salute The Dark: A Book Review

Happy Sunday all! Hope you are having a good weekend, I just finished the fourth installment of the Shadows Of The Apt series, and figured I would let you know about it. I am not sure how big of a hit this series has been, but it seems like this fellow has been putting out books almost as fast as I can read them.
This is the (apparently) final installment detailing the end of the war of the Wasp Empire versus pretty much everyone else in the world. All of the subplots laid down in the previous three installments come to a head here. I do really recommend reading these as close together as possible, because as the author ties together all of the nuance from the previous books, it really pays to have them in fresh memory. I was at a bit of a disadvantage as I have read these as they came out, and was a bit fuzzy on who exactly all the characters were, particularly those who have not appeared since Empire In Black And Gold.

This is really an interesting series, though sometimes a bit thick if you cannot recall all of the terminology. This is yet another great reason to do all four of these in one go. It's a nice mix of fantasy, steampunk, and an interesting take on anthropomorphic fable that has not been done before, as far as I know.

No comments: