Monday, November 1, 2010

Blood Angels Codex: The New Quandary

Ok. So now there are two codices in the CounterFett household. Codex: Space Marines and Codex: Blood Angels. So now the question is, which would be better for my counts as Spartan Force? I have not read much into Blood Angels, as of yet, and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the think is the better codex for this project. Even though the internets out there seem to want to tell me that Blood angels are a more 'competitive' codex, that's not necessarily the type of answer I am looking for. My concern is this: will this codex represent the models I am using to 'count as'? At the moment, even though I am excited about grabbing a new codex (if only so I have something else to read), I am pretty content with how well my models will be represented in Codex: Space Marines.
In a quasi related note, I wanted to talk for a second about the 'competitive codex' issue. I'm a pretty laid back kind of guy when it comes to gaming. This is what I do to relax, after all. On the one hand, I do like the newer codices, as they give me more options as to what to play with. This is why you are much more likely to find me playing with Space Wolves or Blood angels than Black Templar, or Dark Angels, or heaven forbid, Grey Knights. The models are cool and all, but there are just a very small number of army builds that can be made. A newer codex, on the other hand, usually has a very large number of interesting and innovative combinations that can be made, and that's not even counting using a special character to expand you troop options. So while I am not a 'WAAC player,' whatever that means, I do also like playing in the more up to date codex systems. You will also note, that has never stopped me from losing. Honestly, I have lost to Necrons. Necrons! the only 'older' codex I habitually use is Witch Hunters, because, let's face it, nothing is as cool as an Armored Space Nun.
In any case, day one of Spartan Watch has thusfar turned up nothing. I will keep you all posted.

2 comments:

sonsoftaurus said...

If you're looking at a mostly foot shoot'em up type army, I'd go for Vanilla SM. Both can do it with similar costs and options, but I think regular SM pulls ahead for one reason:

Combat Tactics > Red Thirst for a shooty foot army.

Caessar789 said...

I personally play and build Blood Angels and I could help if I knew what the whole Spartan thing was about and what you mean by "Competitive Army"