Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Creating Background For A Hypothetical Future Project.

I have heard some bloggers call it Theoryhammer. Meaning, you might never build this army, but it has been floating around in your head enough to want to write it down and start hammering out some ideas.

MIne is awesome, simply because it involves Ogryns.

For those few of you who read my blog who don't know what an Ogryn is, they are basically Ogres in space. They are a race of Ab-humans which are strong, smelly, and fiercely loyal. Sort of like Scotsmen, come to think of it. Maybe that's why I like them so much.

In any case, Ogryn are represented by the Imperial Guard Codex (and the Vraks Rebel codex, but that's beside the point), and are generally regarded to suck pretty hard. I don't know enough about the Imp Guard codex well enough to make my own decision, but it's one of those things that I have seen enough times that it might become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

But because I like them so much, I need to find a way to use them. Largely inspired by Sonsoftaurus' Scythiak Usurpation (again), I am strongly considering using fantasy Ogres, with bits left over from my Ork hordes.

So it is now simply a matter of creating a background for why my Ogryn are awesomer than the norm, and why they go to war. Well that last part is easy at least

FOR THE EMPEROR!

3 comments:

Loquacious said...

That makes me smile in so many ways.

yes, Ogryn are terrible. Really, really terrible. Despite being beatsticks for damage, basically, they run for their lives like little children at the slightest hint of fire, injury or a good hard sneeze.

sonsoftaurus said...

Ogryn aren't that bad; I've been having pretty good success with them, though granted not against hyper-competitive lists/players.

Maybe I'll do an article.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with. There are some other projects out there with great Ogryn, some based on the fantasy ogres, some from the "real" Ogryn.

CounterFett said...

An article would be good.

It's one of the advantages of being me and losing pretty regularly, if I take a unit that works poorly for me, it's not a catastrophe.

In any case It a fun idea to kick around while I am working on other stuff, like Mantis Warriors.