Sunday, November 21, 2010

Firedrake: The Promised Review.

Ok, as promised, I finished Firedrake today. Because I had to read it next to my son's bed while he was taking a mandatory nap, I finished it a bit earlier than I thought. In turn this means, I can get my review up a bit earlier. For those of you pressed for time or with really short attention spans, I will cut to the chase...it was good. For the rest of you, read on brave souls, and I will elaborate!

Firedrake does not pick up right where Salamander leaves off, but rather some years later, after the ramifications of the big final battle scene have begun to settle in. Dakir (I apologize, I refuse to remember where those apostrophes are placed) is successfully becoming a librarian, though everyone is worried about his power. Tsugan is a Firedrake, a member of the elite first company, and seems to have mellowed out and become a more useful guys since being promoted. Maybe it's just because he does not have to hang out with Dakir anymore. The main crisis point revolves around Chaplain Elysius, his capture by the Dark Eldar, and the subsequent mission to rescue him and the artifact he bears. Now that I have given you the back-cover level synpsis, I am going to launch into my trademarked list of pros and cons.

PROS
  • Lots of action
  • Easier to keep track of which character is which, due to familiarity from the first book.
  • Exploration into the Dark Eldar and their relationship with the Salamanders. Hmm, I wonder if this has anything to do with a new Codex: Dark Eldar?
  • Cameo by another old favorite chapter the Black Dragons!
CONS
  • Large sections of italicized text for visions and flashback segments. I simply refuse to read sections entirely in italics. Fortunately, in this edition, they had to do with Dakir's trials and Chaplain Elysius' past, neither of which were plot essential. Strange, since they are ostensibly the  main characters.
  • I did get a bit confused over place names. Cirrion and Scoria were the worst offenders. Really, this is fiction. You can make up place names that don't all sound the same. Help a reader out.
  • The Salamanders still talk a little too old testament for my liking. I get it, they are deep and mysterious. A little is fine. We would not be into this genre if we couldn't handle "and they shall know no fear" every once in a while. It just seems to go too far in this trilogy.
My cons are always so much more in depth than my pro's and that is because even though I really like this book, it had problems which held me back from enjoying it more. It was an improvement over the first installment, which was not that bad either.

That's it for now, folks! Thanks for reading.

No comments: