Friday, November 12, 2010

Mantis Warriors: Geniune Painting Progress!

Well, I have decided to take this project in Baby Steps. This is for several reasons:
  1. I only have the Terminators right now, so no rush to churn out the army.
  2. I am not a great painter, but I want to do this scheme justice.
  3. When Imperial Armour 10 comes out, we will have a better idea about the Mantis Warriors style and order of battle, and I don't want to have to adjest my whole theme. So, no rush to churn out the army.
  4. I love making these numbered lists.
Last night, I made my first genuine brush to model painting progress. I had been thinking about the nuts and bolts aspect of how to execute what was going on in my head in regards to this scheme. I knew metallic gold for the icons and such, but I wanted it to be fairly subdued, as befits a camouflage scheme. So what I did was paint the entire left pauldron in tan first (since the photo has that one brown anyway). This was a fairly heavy coat. Then I carefully drybrushed the gold enamel onto the crux terminatus. I use the Testors enamel for all of this type of thing, since I like the way it looks and it is very low maintenance and forgiving.

Here is a close up of the first Terminator Honors:
 And here is the rest of the squad:
While the first picture was included for detail, the group shot is better for actual color representation, since for some reason the single shots were all reflected. I think I was just too close, I only have one flash setting. In any case, I am happy enough with these results that barring any groundbreaking discoveries I might make in the next few days, I am going to use the same method with the other gold doodads on these models. Aquilas, skulls, and whatnot.

Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for more Bumbling Badab painting!

5 comments:

Papa JJ said...

That is a great looking gold color, nicely done!

Redscorps a.k.a Red said...

Hey CounterFett,

Did you end up getting any more done on these guys or the other Mantis Warriors?

I get lost in the lego on your blog trying to find 40k updates, haha.

CounterFett said...

Actually, nothing new on the Mantis warriors in a while. Got a bit discouraged when the terminators broke during my move. Think it might be time to get back to that project.

I might do some on that this weekend.

CounterFett said...

Actually, nothing new on the Mantis warriors in a while. Got a bit discouraged when the terminators broke during my move. Think it might be time to get back to that project.

I might do some on that this weekend.

Redscorps a.k.a Red said...

Cool man, keep us updated. Sorry to hear about them getting broken.

My dog chewed up one of my Lascannon sentry guns and my custom built Kharn the Betrayer model the other day so I completely feel your pain.

Oh well!