Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Out With Hospitallers, In With Mantis Warriors!

Okay, so, you know that Hospitaller project I have been yapping about for DAYS? Well, it turns out that there already is a Space Marine Chapter called the Hospitallers, and their paint scheme sucks. Their heraldry colors, in fact, match the historical Templars, which is ironic since the chapters called Templars do not. In any event, after going to all of that work inventing my 'new' chapter, I am seriously disillusioned with the project. Never fear, though, since I am on to bigger and better things.

It turns out that Codex: Blood Angels will work great to represent another chapter that I have always been interested in: The Mantis Warriors! Now, as a kid, I kept a really big preying mantis as a pet, so I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the scythed bugs. Plus, the current Badab War hoopla is putting all of the involved legions in the limelight, which admittedly has revived my interest somewhat. The neato thing about them is how great they work with my ideas for using Death Company for 'counts as' Mantis Religiosa hardcore warriors who are so entranced into a battle haze that they never emerge. Sound familiar?

I am going to try my hand at a camouflage scheme for the first time with this project, in this case the "Tranquility Campaign" Scheme seen above. I am pretty excited, and, as always will keep you updated!

13 comments:

Silar Lannanaris said...

I look forward to seeing this project progress. As I am also now starting an Astral Claws force due to the released Badab War book.
The Death company tie in is great way to theme force well done. And good luck with that scheme. It looks hard.

CounterFett said...

I know, believe me.

I am not a good painter, and my models are only even tabletop presentable because I pick very simple schemes. I am better at picking out schemes I can paint well than I am at painting them.

I decided that if I don't start doing harder things, I am never going to get any better. I want to start having interesting schemes, because the styles I do now are getting boring.

I am looking forward to seeing your Astral Claws as well. Guess we'll be allies! Whoo!

Papa JJ said...

Sorry about the Hospitaller problem, I've had something similar happen to me several times in the past when I thought I'd come up with an original color scheme only to discover it had already been done numerous times already. It helps at least when there's a galaxy of good alternatives to choose from. Good luck with the Mantis Warriors, I've always liked those guys and think they'll make for a really cool army.

Loquacious said...

You know you can paint your guys any color you want, right?

I mean, GW won't come and take away your dudes if they are purple.

Do what you want! You spent the money on them. Hell, I am painting guys to look like a Mexican flag!

But if the harder paint scheme is what you want, then go for it. I love a challenge.

CounterFett said...

@ Loquacious...yeah, I know, it's not really that I'm worried about doing my own thing.

It was just more of a conceptual thing. The reason I was excited about them was because it was something that (I thought) had not been done, and was innovative. Finding out that it had been done, and poorly, just robbed my interest. And that's the real problem. If I'm not excited about it, it won't get done.

The Mantis thing, on the other hand, is fun and will be a good challenge. Plus, even though they are an 'established' chapter, they have multiple color schemes and an intriguing background with lots of backstory that matches what I want to do.

Anonymous said...

It's a cool project, personally I would wait until Imperial Armor 10 comes out to see what the "official" story is.

Mighty said...

Can’t wait to see your Mantis warrior army. I have always liked the paint scheme and Mantis Chapter symbol.

I am actually starting a new Space Sharks army as I have always liked sharks(probably from watching the street sharks cartoon when I was little), and it is cool to see other people doing armies from the Badab war.

Well good luck and can’t wait to see how you do them.

sonsoftaurus said...

Cool, look forward to seeing these guys develop! FYI Chapterhouse studios just came out with some MW pads, though from first glance not sure I like them personally.

Maybe someday we can get my future Space Sharks and your future Mantis Warriors together for some Badab throw downs!

CounterFett said...

You know, the first thing I did when I decided I wanted to do this was look at their site, and I could not find any Mantis Warrior stuff. Is it in a special section?

sonsoftaurus said...

http://chapterhousestudios.com/webshop/news

May take them a bit to show up in the store i guess.

CounterFett said...

Ooooooohhhhhhhh Yeeeaaaaaaah!

The Terminators at least are going to need those.

Probably will use the Power Armor ones for characters and sergeants.

Depending on how much scratch I have when they hit the storefront, I might try to do one for every model. This is the army I am going to take my time on building, so may as well do it right, eh?

sonsoftaurus said...

B&C also has a couple of decal sheet options available.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?automodule=downloads&showcat=9&sort_by=ASC&sort_key=file_name&num=25&st=75

CounterFett said...

Awesome!