Monday, November 8, 2010

The Things We Do For The Love Of Our Hobby.

This is me, on a Sunday Night, stripping the paint off of a squad of Assault Terminators, with a toothbrush. In my kitchen sink. Proof, if ever it was needed, that I have the coolest and most understanding wife in this, or any other galaxy.

I got most of the paint, then put them back to soak. My life was made a little more difficult because they were out on the deck with no lid, and it rained. The Simple Green towards the top got diluted, so all the parts that were near the top of the bucket would not quite scrub clean. After this is finished, I can finally start with the new scheme, and make the first appreciable progress on the Mantis Warrior project. Yay, forward momentum!

9 comments:

Thor said...

This is why I have a utility sink in the basement. My wife's understanding wore thin :)

CounterFett said...

Hahah.

I am moving into a new house in the next few weeks. This is in our soon to be demolitioned apartment. I think I won't be able to get away with it for much longer either.

sonsoftaurus said...

I've mentioned it before elsewhere, but I've been glad to finally use an electric toothbrush (with different head!) for stripping paint. Vibrates vs. scrape so doesn't splatter as much and saves a lot of elbow grease.

CounterFett said...

Oh, that's such a good idea it's scandalous.

Loquacious said...

I went to the hardware store and bought a wire brush with nickel bristles. It's teh awesome for removing paint. Cost like... $1.

Loquacious said...

PS good on you to give props to your wife publicly. Girls like that.

CounterFett said...

Yeah, she's the best. I must ask though...doesn't using a wire brush scrape off some detail? My wife actually recommended that (god bless her) but I didn't want to scuff up all the pretty details.

Silar Lannanaris said...

I see you are doing Mantis Warriors can I tempt you with this little project: http://thefallenprinces.blogspot.com/2010/11/badab-project.html

Loquacious said...

No, I never had problems with losing details- HOWEVER, I used mine mostly for removing releasing agents when I first bought a model prior to priming. I removed some paint (and as I said it worked great), but it was an accidental discovery. "Hey, I already have this, wonder how it works..." sort of thing.