Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Art Of Deathwatch. Back In Black

Because I already have a post entitled Marines. In that post, I detailed some of the different types of Specialties (I still think of them as classes) available in the game via their artwork. Here, I am simply going to show some of the gorgeous artwork depicting Deathwatch Marines that was released during the hype buildup before the book hit the stands. Some of this is also internal artwork, Chapter frontispieces I believe.
What is one of the most scarred up dudes you ever want to meet. And he has a very serious looking axe. I don't think I could even lift that.
Group Shot. Even though the Brothers all look pretty standard in this shot, I like all the little differences; an augmetic eye here, a powerfist there. They look uniform, but still individualistic.
This one is titled The Veteran. Yeah, this guy looks like he could smash some face. A Power Sword and a Fist? Who wants to choose? Another thing I like here is that unlike a lot of the previous artwork in which the battle brothers are fairly unadorned and homogeneous, this dude looks like he has some honours and commendations, and his armor has seen a bit of action.

3 comments:

Loquacious said...

I love the DW art- all of the Warhammer 40K rpg art is spectacular, really.

Chris said...

See, I like the fact that DW are fairly business-like in the black and gunmetal armour, apart from the odd touch of a memento from their parent Chapter - the shoulder pad plus the odd prized weapon, trophy or votive offering to distinguish them - but always remaining serious - not much in the way of "look at my bling!" about the DW :) cool pics.

CounterFett said...

@ Chris

That's exactly what drew me to them in the first place.

With a lot of Space Marine Chapters being some sort of knight or viking or vampire or covered in books, the Deathwatch looks like a special forces team.

And really, I like that. You don't lose much of the setting flavor, because you can have chapter specific bitz, but they don't go over the top.