Sunday, January 23, 2011

First And Only: Special Issue Weapons

Originally, I was thinking about making my Tanith First and Only project around the time of the book Honour Guard, since I liked that book, it was when I had the idea to use the Rangers, and I really like the idea of the Tank Support they had in the form of the Parduan Leman Russes and Tank Destroyers (Captain LeGuin is my new role model). But then after I finished The Guns of Tanith, and rather enjoyed the accounts of Tanith teams gunning down the inscrutable Loxatl Mercenaries with U90 assault cannons, sort of makes me want to have it represent them then. Of course, there is nothing saying I can't have my cake and eat it too...
The Loxatl, yeah, they spell bad cess in letters that stretch from here to Seattle (I wonder if anyone will catch that reference, lol). The Tanith were issued U90 assault cannons with drum magazines full of armor piercing high-explosive rounds...
I hear "assault" and "drum magazine" and I see the combat shotgun from Fallout 3. Can't seem to find a good miniature representation of this, however. The book does mention they are a .45 caliber weapon, hmmm, .45 with a drum magazine? What does that remind me of?
Tommy Guns from Maxmini! They are getting to be my go to guys for conversion bits these days. I prefer the one of the left, obviously, as it has a drum magazine and stands out against the lasgun crowd a bit better than the right. I think maybe I can use the one on the right as a lasgun, since it looks an awful lot like one, by simply painting it in the same colors as my lasguns, and mixing it in the squads.

Now, to just think of what the heck my U90s are going to count as in the squads...

5 comments:

DoomOnYou said...

If you order them direct from Maxmini they will let you pick the ones that you want if you email them. I have quite a few of their sets and they are great. I got this one as well but went with the Lasgun looking one (use them as Autoguns as the drum magazine looks cool). It wouldnt be too hard to do alittle work on it to make it look like tha Fallout autoshotgun.

Chris said...

I do love Guns of Tanith :)

For those autoguns, I kinda see a larger weapon, closer to a SAW.

I do love the Maxmini tommyguns though - a friend of mine put one on a Blood Pact trooper, looked great!

CounterFett said...

@ DoomOnYou: They let you pick on this one too? I was not sure, because it did not specify. Also, the one on the right has a drum? I guess it's just a matter of angle then. Maybe I'll use that one, since I don't want it to look toooo much like a tommy gun.

@ Chris: I sort of thought about that too, since Maxmini also makes a good SAW, but I might reserve that for stubber teams or autocannon weapon teams or some such.

Chris said...

Yeah - for pure aesthetics it'd be daft having a squad of SAWs :)

I very much hate that the latest Guard 'dex didn't include a Heavy Stubber option. It's always something that's resonated with me - always looks nifty. I'm thinking my Guard will have them as squad-based Heavy Bolters. I already have a couple of conversions kicking around. The Tanith are mentioned as using .30cals a bunch of times I seem to recall?

CounterFett said...

Yeah, they have .30 cal support teams one per squad, and they are also mentioned as having .50 sections.

I think I would just have the .50 be an autocannon, and model it like a Browning m2. There are scads of good WW2 models out there that should convert fine.