Friday, January 21, 2011

First And Only: The Ubiquitous Lasgun

Well, along the lines of using Dragunovs from Maxmini as Long-Las sniper rifles, the subsequent and derivative idea is to use their AKs as Lasguns.
Because Maxmini will let you pick which version you want to order, I was thinking of getting a whole order of the side folding version (top) and a whole order of the standard stock (middle). See, the Verghastites in the regiment are described as carrying Lasguns of the Vervunhive style with folding metal stocks, and the Tanith carry Nalwood stocked rifles. They should look pretty similar otherwise, as we are all talking about Imperial Guard Lasguns.

These would probably need some modifications to look more Las-ey, but I am not sure exactly what I intend here. I don't want to cut the mags off, because in one part of The Guns of Tanith, Rawne says the Tanith Lasguns will take power cells of the sickle type, a la AK. Not sure what else will modify the profile a little, or if they even need to be.

3 comments:

Dawfydd said...

The only thing I can think of to help identify these guns as 40k style Las weapons, would be to add the distinctive barrel-nose 'suppressor' cowling that all the models have had over the years. I did something similar a number of years ago with a platoon of the old metal Cadians, replacing their lasgun barrels with those from the plastic Catachan set that I had spare....

Chris said...

To be honest, I think you'd be much better off just asking around on forums for lasguns - Guard gamers tend to have a million spare lasguns :)

James B said...

I did once hear that the IG Codex designers considered the lasgun to actually BE the futuristic AK - it's cheap, functional, durable, easy to care for and it's absolutely everywhere.

So this whole idea works perfectly to me.