Thursday, January 20, 2011

Modeling Tanith, On The Cheap.

As you all know, I go through phases where I want to mdel an army based on whatever I am reading at the time. And because I have so many phases that I go through, I want to do this for as little outlay of cash as possible.
Well a big part of that is using what resources there are as effectively as possible. I could use 40k models of some sort and so some pretty extensive converting, but that would add up fast, and judging from my skill level at conversions, you can probably guess how this would turn out.

On the other hand, in the Lord Of The Rings line, we have Ranger models which come  27 for $24. Cloaks, check. Hoods, check. Beardy, scruffy, scottishy looking dudes, check. Lasguns....um, not so much. But we can get to that later.

So, what do you think? Neat Idea? Stupid? Somewhere in between? I figure for the cost of 10 Catachans (which would need a LOT of conversion) I can get 24 Tanith lookalikes, where I can basically swap in my choice of aftermarket laser thingies.

8 comments:

Heiki said...

This is brilliant! I love both Tanith and those models so putting them together sounds awesome.

TheRhino said...

Two things for you to consider...

LotR and WotR models are of a finer scale than 40K, if I remember right. You might find the models are too weedy to be used alongside other Guard stuff.

How do you plan to pose these guys to actually look like they're holding/firing lasguns? Many of the arms are reaching for arrows, drawing bows, etc. Might be tough to get them into convincing poses.

The head/cloak sections match perfectly to the Tanith image, though.

CounterFett said...

I've looked at these, and I think you are right about scale. LotR is in 28mm, so the same height, but not 'heroic' meaning they are less chunky than 40k. There is a redeeming point here, however.

The rangers look wimpy compared to Catachans, but the Tanith would look wimpy next to Catachans too. Likewise, Cadians are modeled as wearing armor plate, which would make them look a little bulkier than a Tanith in his Jumpsuit/cloak getup.

Also, due to the 'sneaky' poses the rangers are in, their actual size is masked somewhat. The cloaks also work to my advantage a little here, as each cloak has a built in 'billow' making the individual figures slightly larger in appearance, if not reality.

Poses are harder. That is a bridge I'll have to burn when I get to it. Honestly, the only ones I see a lot of trouble with are the bow poses, because you simply do not raise your strong hand that much with a rifle. The spear poses will be easy (you can typically add a bayonetted rifle for those), and the sword poses I will trim to make it look like they are fighting with their knives, and holding lasguns in their off hand.

Anonymous said...

you could make the men drawing arrows drawing a close combat weapon out of a camoed sheath, thats probably the easiest thing

CounterFett said...

Good idea Mysterious Stranger!

Thanks! That might be what happens.

Dawfydd said...

I'm genuinely intrigued to see how this turns out for you. I'd never considered the Rangers in place of Tanith, but can see them working fairly well indeed. Plus the scale differance means that Bragg, Corbec & Kolea will look very brawny indeed.....

As some of the others have mentioned though, posing with rifles could be an issues, but the cloaked nature of this range should make it fairly easy to repose the arms if needs be with minimal green-stuff needed...

CounterFett said...

That's what I was thinking.

Chris said...

Seems like an interesting idea - I've seen the Warriors of Harad used to make Tallarn Desert Raiders, but this is much more interesting!

I'd say definitely go for Catachan lasguns - they're a bit lighter-lookin' than the chunkier Cadian ones.