Monday, January 3, 2011

MonDomino! Inaugural Edition

Well, I figured a good place to begin would be at the beginning. This is how Domino and the X-Forcers looked way back in the olden days, approximately back when I started following the series. Now, don't take my word for it, I'm not sure if this art is actually from back then (the modern-ish look for Cable makes me think it is a new piece done in the retro style, but who knows...not me). This piece has the members that were in X-Force then too, guest starring all those other people who I don't remember. Some fan I was huh?

The main reason I like this as a starting place is that this is Domino during the "Pamela Anderson" phase that I was referring to. Back then, all of the Marvel Ladies were very well endowed. Not that I complained at the time, I think this was circa 1994(?) so I was about 14. Heh.

Teenage hormonal reminiscence aside, this will be terrific to show Domino in a relatively 'young' state, before she developed into a well-defined character.

9 comments:

Gyro said...

That's gotta be a modern take on the team, this is what I remember (which pails in comparison):

http://semantink.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/o_xforce1.jpg

Venerable said...

You sure that's not an old image? It looks like a mid 90's Rob Liefeld to me...

Brutorz Bill said...

I dunno, I kinda agree with Gyro.

CounterFett said...

See, I can't tell. It looks like legit style, but some of the details seem off to me, Like Domino not wearing her metal 'face-frame' and Cable in the wife beater instead of the shoulder pads. Those seem like recent touches, but the style seems like the older art.

Venerable said...

Didn't Leifeld come back and do some art bout a year - 18mths ago for Marvel...his first stuff back with big M after the whole Image thing? Could still be RL...

An Enemy said...

Think thats just a pinup that Liefeld did for the back of an annual or something.

Original X-Force line up changed a bit.

For the most part it was:
Cable, Warpath, Domino(who wasn't really Domino, but actually Copycat), Cannonball, Feral, Shatterstar, and Boom Boom.

A bit later Rictor, Siryn, and Sunspot joined up.

X-Force's line up changed a lot.

Thats the funny part man. The "real" Domino wasn't in X-Force until much later.

CounterFett said...

Yeah, I knew the Copycat part. I just leave it out for simplicity's sake.

I like 'modern'/'Real' Domino better anyway.

An Enemy said...

Stopped buying comics regularly a couple years ago so I'm not well versed in the current incarnation of Domino. She was one of my favorite characters as well though.

Whenever I see someone talking about current X-Men stuff I feel like someone born before WWII trying to figure out a DVR.

CounterFett said...

@ An Enemy:

Pretty much my situation as well. Modern Domino seems grittier and a little more 'real.'

I kinda sorta kept track of her in the 'Sex & Violence' Era, though I did not read it. Her artwork is a lot edgier in recent years.