Saturday, January 8, 2011

Prospero Burns: The Wolves Unleashed

Just finished reading Prospero Burns: The Wolves Unleashed this evening, and figured I would supplant this evenings' Handful Of Heroes post to talk about it. This does not rate quite a full scale book review, since I reckon this is probably the most reviewed book on the bloggosphere this week, but it was simply a phenomenal read.

If you have not read it yet, I don't want to spoil much, but the 6th Legion is portrayed vastly different from the jovial if fierce warriors from other Black Library works. Abnett can be a hit or miss author for me, but he made me look at the Wolves in a whole new light. Since I already was fond of them, I am not sure what this means. They have definitely been retconned into something other than what originally drew me to them, though that is not definitely a bad thing. It...just might take some getting used to.

This was my first Horus Heresy novel, and I am not quite sure how well I can adjust to the concept of Primarchs being living, breathing characters in a story, rather than revered if distant memories.

In any event, it was a terrific read, and if you are one of the three 40k fans out there who waited longer to get your hands on a copy than I did, I encourage you to find one. The only reason it took me so long was that all of my usual haunts were out.

3 comments:

Sgt. Brisbane said...

I agree with you completely. Concise review but you said in one paragraph what took me several to express, lol.

Great read, both the book and your review.

CounterFett said...

Well, a good deal of it (including buying the book) was inspired by yours, so that might not be a coincidence.

I was going back and forth on whether to buy it or not, but the good reviews convinced me.

Andy said...

I have read the first 5 books of the series and I loved every one of them! Eventually I plan to buy and read them all.

Different authors for the books keep it fresh and fun to read, or at least for me it does ;-)