Saturday, January 1, 2011

Wargames Factory Plastics Conversions Ideas: Or Getting Beaten To The Punch

When I first became interested in the Warhammer 40k game, it was because of one faction, the Grey Knights. What, you thought I was going to say something else? Oh, right, this post is about my second choice faction, the Ordo Hereticus. See, I never did play as Grey Knights, because I had a friend who had the Witch Hunters Codex he was willing to give me for free. The Sisters of Battle struck me as a good alternative, and I always wanted to get an army of them. But they only came in metal, and they cost a lot. The idea of buying an army of them was...daunting. So, I just sustituted whatever mini army I was into at the time as Inquisition Stormtroopers and Inquisitors. I never did have anything that I felt would be a good fit for SoB. But the itch to play them was always there...

Then surfing the interwebs, trying to find something to convert easily into plastic Sisters, I struck upon the idea of using plastics amazons and scifi bits to bash something together. Looks like I was not the only one. This is Wargames Factory's new plastic Amazons...
And here are their Shock Troopers...
And here is a bash...
Honestly, I think I would use more of the amazon torso to make them look a little more power armored, but this is a good proof of concept. Just goes to show you there is nothing new under the sun.

4 comments:

Papa JJ said...

That is a nice alternative for Sisters and could probably stand-in for numerous other models as well. I think using the Amazon torso would also look good as you suggest. I do wonder if there are some other ways you could combine the pieces so that as little goes to waste as possible were you to buy both sets. Cool.

CounterFett said...

I was thinking of using the Greatcoat bodies with female heads for Sisters, then the Amazon bodies with shock trooper heads as Celestians, or something like that. The Great coats come with extra weapons, so that I can make dominions too. After looking at a few of the sprues, I think a good mix would be 2 boxes of amazons to one box of shock troopers since the shock troops come with so much stuff.

An Enemy said...

The test model is a good kitbash, but doesn't immediately scream, "Sister of Battle" to me. If I saw it on the table I'd think it was just Imperial Guard. Of course, you're there to explain otherwise so go for it.

Gyro said...

Looks great!

It would take some more work, but I would saw off the lower greatcoat torso at the waist, then saw the top of the amazon torso and stick it on top of that. The stick with amazon arms, but stick some shoulder pads on there and use marine bolters to finish it off.

Hmm, now *I'm* thinking of my own project...