- Merrt For The Win. I have no qualms expressing how much I like Merrt as a character. He's just a loser. No one likes him, and he tries to overcome a hideous deformity and make good, despite the fact that he can't even successfully string together a sentence. I mean, the dude fights elite Chaos stormtroopers with a secondhand rifle that he is pretty sure has 'Death' spelled out on it. Fatalistic.
- Blood Pact At The Gate. Ban Daur and the Flame troopers holding the gate was a pretty cool scene. It was refreshing to see a good plan actually work well, and not fail just 'because.' Sometimes books seem to have misfortune befall the characters just as a plot point.
- Loose Threads. I like when open plot tangles get cleared up. 'Nuff Said.
- The Weirds. Yeah, there is a lot of weirdness going on. A lot of it makes sense at the end, but not all of it. Even with the final explanation for all the strange hapenings, some of it just doesn't ring true at the end.
- Blood Pact. This might just be my mind picking up on something else I was told way back when I started the series, but I am getting sick of the blood pact. This is like the eighth title they appear in, and they have stopped being interesting antagonists.