Sunday, March 20, 2011

BattleTech 25th Anniversary Boxed Set Coming Soon!

I saw this as I was perusing the interwebz late last night, and since I was fairly excited about it, I thought there might be some other folks interested in hearing about it.
That's right, a new Introductory box set release for the 30th of this month. Now, there have been quite a few releases of this same type of product from (now long defunt) FASA and then Catalyst Game Labs, but he reason this one got me interested in particular was that it comes with 26 plastic minis to represent your BattleMechs. I never got any of these, since I started playing BattleTech in what might be called the 'middle era' neither early nor late enough to get the sweet plastic minis that came with the boxed sets.

Contents:

* 24 unpainted, ready-to-play plastic BattleMech minis
* 2 unpainted, premium-quality plastic BattleMech minis
* One 12-page full-color quick-start rulebook will have
players into the action in minutes
* 36-page book of pre-generated BattleMech Record Sheets
* One 80-page full-color rulebook
* Inner Sphere at a Glance, a 56-page full-color book of universe
background and BattleMech technical data
* One 16-page full-color Painting and Tactics Guide
* Two heavy-duty cards of compiled tables
* Two 18″ x 24″ game-board quality maps

But don't take my word for it, check it out at the Catalyst Game Labs site.

4 comments:

sonsoftaurus said...

Should be worth getting just for the figures.

Though I wish I had/had been able to get more of the old school mechs during the first runs, or that my friends' huge collections hadn't been ripped off! Hopefully some day in the future we'll see licensing rights sorted out and the old school designs will be re-released in an appropriate scale.

CounterFett said...

That's what I was thinking.

As far as the Harmony Gold/Lost Mechs, Catalyst has done something interesting on that front. They have 'reissued' them so to speak with slightly modified artwork in Project Phoenix. Not quite the same, but a good way to get some of the classic feel back. I missed Wolverines and Battlemasters.

sonsoftaurus said...

Interesting. I haven't seen anywhere where it says what mechs will be included in the set; any word?

CounterFett said...

There is an 'unboxing' video at purplepawn.com. Might be able to tell from there. I have not been able to watch it yet.