Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Trying To Get Mecha In 28mm Is Hard: A BattleTroops Tale.

I had to do it. I found BattleTroops, and the first thing I did was decide that instead of making cheap counters and maps to play, that I needed to use minis instead. Well, the problem is that a Mecha in 28mm is pretty hard to come by these days at a reasonable price.

This is the coverart for the TRO: 3025, the first edition without the 'unseen' mechs. It is one of the only art pieces I can think of that shows infantry fighting mechs. I love that it makes the Atlas' medium laser look like a thing to be feared.

I did a little rudimentary math, and decided that a 30 foot BattleMech in 28mm scale should only be about 5-6 inches tall. This means all of those awesome Gundam action figures that I should have bought for cheap at WalMart would have been perfect. Really wish I sprung the $6 a piece for those back then. That leaves either Gundam model kits (which are really spendy, truth be told) or maybe some RevolTech figures, are my best bet. Is there any Robot or Mecha figs in the stores right now that I am not thinking of that are in that 5-6 inch range?

7 comments:

Luke said...

Take a second look at the gundam model kits. The 'FG' and 'No Grade' 1/144 scale kits are dirt cheap. Plenty of variety, and all in the $5 range. Revoltechs are awesome, but they're far from cheap. $15 to $20 easy.

CounterFett said...

Ok cool, thanks, I will have to check that out. I had seen a bunch of kits, but did not know the differences and most of them were $40+. Some of the Revoltechs are pretty cheap, especially the models I am most interested in anyway (Dougram, Robotech, etc.).

Now that I have a place to start looking, I'll have to have another look.

Mike Howell said...

That thing is only supposed to be 30' tall?!

The first thing I thought of when you said 28mm scale mecha was the "Shogun Warriors Dragoon" I had as a kid. 24" tall and probably about the right scale for 28mm (or maybe a little short.) I had some Macross and Dougram toys from ages past, but they were more like 10mm scale (based on the pilot figs.)

CounterFett said...

Yeah. Atlas is supposed to be 10m tall, and is, according to the backstory, one of the tallest mechs.

It's hilarious to me, since it means all of the artwork and games, and minis are a bit off scale...

Mike Howell said...

Check out the "Robotech Defenders" model series released by Revell in the mid-80's. They can go for significantly cheaper than a dreadnought on eBay, and seem to be mostly repackaged Dougram and Macross models.

Mike Howell said...

...oh, and the Robotech Defenders all seem to be about 28mm scale (1/70)

^Uyraell^. said...

Have a look at Zealot.com, hobby forum. There are several mechs there in paper model form, with downloadable templates and skins.
Most are 1/40 scale but would be relatively easy to rescale to suit your needs. If making them in paper or cardstock seems unreasonable, you could always use plastic card/sheet and rods as found at hobby stores, I suspect that using the papermodel templates would be adaptable to plastic card techniques as in scratch-building.

I wish you every Success. I'm still trying to find a papermodel Battle Tech Elemental battlesuit figure.
Regards, Uyraell.