Thursday, April 21, 2011

Game Review: LEGO Star Wars III

My wife bought me LEGO Star Wars III for my birthday. I know what you are all thinking: "Isn't that like a bowling ball with 'Homer' engraved on it?" Not really, see, I wanted it too. Plus, she wants something else for her birthday, but that's a post for another day.
So, what did I think? Basically, this game did not live up to its potential, and left me feeling a bit let down. It has a new interface, and requires the Nunchuck, which previous games did not, but whatever. So, what about this game is bringing me down?
  1. Difficulty. The first two games could be played through quickly, if one was so inclined, or carefully, to unlock everything and reach 100% completion. Not So Ep. III. it is HARD. There were places where my wife and I, two veteran gamers, had to resort to finding online help to get through to the next section of the level.
  2. Glitches. Some of those aforementioned problems were not even our fault, but due to scripted triggers not working right, making a replay of the level necessary. Not good.
  3. Bastardizing the genre. It's hard to think of LEGO video games as a genre in themselves, but they are. In previous versions, all the ships were, naturally enough, made of LEGO bricks. Not here, the larger vessels are 'cartoon' versions, which steals some of the previous games' charm.
  4. Negative stereotyping. I'm not sure how to break this, but every cutscene which includes a female character either has her a) applying lipstick, or b) not doing her job because she's gossiping. This makes playing this game with my wife a bit more antagonistic than it would be otherwise. In a franchise like Star Wars, which does a pretty good job of portraying strong heroines, this is a bit of an odd duck to me anyway.
Final Rating:

5 comments:

Bix said...

Thanks for this review, the Lego games are a staple fave for my good lady and she has been a tad down that she hasn't yet got this one.

I can tell her not to be to disapoint now lol :)

slipwing said...

I got this game for my son and he likes it. I have played it with him and I have to agree that it does not live up to its potential.

Dan said...

I figured the Star Wars Lego game had its run. I can't stop playing batman, i am around 78%. Looking forward to pirates.

The Happy Whisk said...

I don't know anything about this game but wanted to say happy birthday.

CounterFett said...

Thanks!