Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Super Smash Brothers: A Rumination On "Newer Is Better"

I like playing video games with my wife. It is fun, she is hilarious to play with, and it is one of the main reasons we got together in the first place. Of course, the problem is that there are only so many different games she will play. One of said games is Super Smash Brothers Brawl. It is the newest version, which can only be had on Wii.

Recently, she wanted to get Melee, the older version from the Gamecube release. I was very resistant, at first, due to not wanting to spend money on a percieved 'older, inferior' title. Well, I am glad she talked me into it! In addition to being better controls (old school, gamecube controllers vs. wiimote), I realized that some characters played differently between versions. Case in point:
Yeah, Samus is way better in Melee. Her charge up shot and missile are faster and seem to hit harder, her smash attacks actually do something, and she is now faster than your average tree sloth. In fact, all of the characters seem more balanced in Melee, rather than having 'better' characters as seems to be the case in Brawl.

6 comments:

Jalil said...

You should try the 64 version. having played them all, easily my favorite

CounterFett said...

I did like the 64 version, which is the reason I love the franchise so much.

I never owned it though, I missed that whole generation of consoles playing PC only.

sonsoftaurus said...

Man, the only version I remember was in the arcade. Back when they had arcades. And pterodactyls.

MC Tic Tac said...

Ahhh Smash Bros so damm good.

I'm personally a Link player - mr swiss army knife or what?

I use to play it all the time with my sister. It's the kind of game that bridges gap between players and non players :)

Action Ranger Timmy said...

I've heard this gripe, never really understood it myself.

Rogelio T. said...

I love the 64 version! When my younger sisters had it I used to always play as Starfox. I even earned him a trophy in it "The Master Of Disaster" :)

Melee was great too but I remember not liking the attacks as much.