Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Tyrannosaurus Rex Was A Very Mean King

Ok, so the good news folks is that on the very tail end of my birthday yesterday, I found a decent T-rex at the craft store. This is the Safari Ltd. version, which is universally acknowledged as inferior to the Papo or Shleich products, but meh. Beggars can't be choosers.

Pros:
  • Low price. Yeah, it was under $6, which is as good as I could have hoped for this kind of toy dino, at this scale.
  • Perfect size. This scales almost perfectly for 28mm figures, which coincidentally means it scales about right for my LEGO figs too. Whichever way I want to go to create my Hunters for Big Game HUnt, I'm good to go.
  • Stands on its own. Maybe things have changed a lot since I last had dino toys, but I remember it being a big deal when one of them was able to stand pretty solidly.
Cons:
  • Paint. Ol' Rexy is sporting a kind of leaf green on pea green scheme, which is not inspired. Also, the paint applications make me wonder if it was done on purpose, or if my particular specimen was simply scratched up from too long a stay at the craft store.
  • Tripod. I'm not one of those people whi think a theropod toy is completely useless just because the tail touches the ground. The reality is, these things will not stand up reliably without a third point of base contact. But I know there are a lot of people looking for this.

No comments: