Saturday, May 28, 2011

An Army Of Killer Robots: Beyond Necrons

For a long time, one of my favorite sci-fi tropes has been the robotic killing machine. Be it a terminator, a sentinel, a harvester, or what have you, they have always fascinated me.

I am also a wargamer, which means I spend large amounts of my personal time and treasure imagining and enacting battles that have never happened with armies that are quite unlike anything that ever were.

For the majority of the time I have been doing so, that has been with Warhammer 40k, and mostly with Necrons. Some of my very first posts about wargaming, more than a year ago, were about Necrons, and they have always had a dear place in my heart. So usually, whenever I get the killy robot itch, the tomb-worlders are my go to guys, uh, bots.

Recently, however, I have felt somewhat limited by trying to represent every killer robot idea I have by some sort of Necron Automaton. Hey that's almost lyrical. The gist here is that there are an awful lot of different types of combat robot in the history of sci-fi, and I am doing myself a disservice by only looking at one type to fill my wargaming needs.

Heck, this article alone looks at several of the most well known types; the humanoid, big walker, and the tankbot. But there are more such as the floating hunter-killer, the nano-swarm, tripods, and even some of the more outlandish types like motorcycle bots or screamers (subterranean rippers, basically).



So, what I am proposing to myself, is when I have a robot idea for the foreseeable future, I am not going to look for a way to mold it into a Necron, but rather really look at what is out there.

1 comment:

Action Ranger Timmy said...

You should get the Terminator Hunter Killer minimate with battledamaged T800.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4175604&CAWELAID=521965944