Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Bad Endings: A Reflection On Solving My Own Problems

So, last night I posted about how I was having so much trouble deciding what rules to use for a simple, quick game for representing Conan-styled action on the tabletop. After I posted it, I looked through my beloved Free Wargames Site , and struck on Bad Endings , a quick and brutal game of miniatures combat set in the early medieval period. This is not something new to me. I have played this game before. Heck, I have even posted about it before! It just goes to show that sometimes when I have a problem, I just need to really look at things I have done in the past. Sometimes I've already found the answer, and I just need to think about it a little differently.

As a fun aside, I hit upon the above miniature as a kind of nice representation as a Conan-type character for my gaming needs. It's a bit pricey as it's from Avatars of War, but for something like a single fig that is exactly what I am looking for, it's not too outrageous. This would come in costing less than many of the converted figures I have used for my Chaos Space Marines.

3 comments:

Mik said...

Song of Blades and Heroes is a pretty amazing set of skirmish level fantasy as well. Not free, but definitely affordable.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ganeshagames.net%2F&rct=j&q=ganesha%20games&ei=r7TKTYmXFci3twekxpDoBw&usg=AFQjCNHrYDS30RCmOAI8uUzVJFkCciHCmQ&sig2=1bgm_4M2m_pruDDq6KSUrw&cad=rja

Dawfydd said...

I've got the AoW Barbarian myself for use in games of Warhammer Quest. Alongside their Witch Hound/ Hunter they just look incredibly badass.
If you want something a little more dynamic, I've been looking at Red Box Gaming (http://red-box-games.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14&zenid=593e0298cc0468b664bfdec7fdf66fe7) and their range of Norse-types. very spiffy...

Zombie Ad said...

I am surprised that someone hasn't picked up theb license to put out a Copnan skirmish game. I'd be all over it. Perhaps the new movie will kick things up a gear. GW's LOTR Skirmish is a solid core rule set and very easy to pick up - might be worth consideration?