Saturday, May 21, 2011

Dark Angels Without Games Workshop: My Big Idea

Alright folks. As I mentioned a few posts ago, I don't buy much from GW. This is how I can afford to be so unphased by their price raise and trade sanction shenanigans. On the other hand, they are starting to price me out of the game, unless I do some 'counts as' shenanigans of my own. Which of course brings us full circle to this morning's post, wherein I attempt to make a semi-legitimate, recognizable army with no Games Workshop models. This is partly as a demonstrative thing for those folks who are so bent out of shape right now, and partly as something I am actually inclined to do.
So here's the big idea: before the Emperor came to Caliban, and forged the first Legion as the Dark Angels, Lion El' Jonson was part of a Knightly organization called the Order, which wore black powered armor, carried bolters and swords, and generally rode around fighting the good fight and smiting the chaos blight. Hey, that was sorta poetic. Their symbol was a downward pointing sword. The image above is actually the Knights of Santiago, but I think it would do a good job as representing the Order, if someone were inclined to do it.
The neat thing about this is that it would bea pretty simple paint job, and any power armor that looks more 'primitive' compared to Astartes armor would be easy to explain away as what they can put together on Caliban.
When I had originally planned this, I was thinking of making an all Deathwing Army, as I have had in the back of my mind for some time. But then I realized that pre-Emperor Caliban had horse mounted Ravenwing. So now, my idea is to have something like (all counts as of course): Belial, Elite Scouts, Deathwing Troops, and Ravenwing Fast Attack. This is pending that the FAQ has not pooped in my Cheerios. I do not think it has, but I need to double check.

1 comment:

Dawfydd said...

Sounds good.
Should be interesting to see what you come up with :)