Monday, May 2, 2011

Genuine Content Week: Making LEGO Guns From 40k Bitz

That's right folks, Counterfett here talking about making LEGO accessories, guns in particular, from the leftover Bitz you have when you are done setting up your Warhammer 40k models the way you like them. Now in order to do this, you really only need a few things to get started:
  1. An idea of what you want to end up with. Really, this is very important.
  2. Left over bitz. I find that Ork and Space Marine (of any flavor) Bitz work best, as anything else is really too small. I have seen some people say that the weapons from Tau Battlesuits work well too, but I have spent a good deal of time trying to avoid buying Crisis Suits, so I can honestly say I have no idea.
  3. Sharp clippers.
  4. A piece of scrap LEGO rod. For this article, I used the spare rod that came with one of the Halo Bloks ODST drop pods. I have a bunch of spare ones, and I only use the short ones, so the extra longs are just ripe for the plundering.
  5. Plastic cement and your preferred means of application. I use generic cement and staples broken off of a refill strip. Yes, I am cheap.
  6. Patience. It takes a lot of practice to do this right, and you are liekly to break a few bitz in the process. You'll see me do it as we go through the process, and I've been doing this for a while.
  7. Paint. Normally, I would never paint a LEGO accessory, as I think that defeats the aesthetic, but you will likely have different color parts, and you want to hide you work. I usually recommend a Krylon 'Fusion For Plastics' spray, as they do not require primer, and bond at the molecular level, pretty much making scratched off color a thing of the past.
The first step to doing this, is take the bitz you want to use, and very carefully trim off the grips, or any body parts, chains or straps attached that you do not want as part of the final product. I have chosen five pieces to take through the process to give you some ideas, and this is what they should look like when you are done.
From Left: Khorne Berzerker Bolt Pistol; Gretchin Six-Shoota (I know they are called blastas now, I just don't care); Ork Choppa; Ork Shoota; Ork Choppa with Knuckle Gaurd.

You'll notice that there are a few 'stress' marks where the plastic has lightened where the torque from the clippers has almost split them. This is what I was talking about. Even with all of your caution, sometimes these things will just break along stress lines as you trim them. It's going to happen, just get yourself in a calm place, and write off any losses. I didn't lose anything this time, but it was pretty much because of luck.

Tune in tomorrow for another installment!

1 comment:

Mik said...

What madness is this? Consider me staying tuned...