Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Making LEGO Guns From 40k Bitz Part II

Good evening folks, for part II of my Geniune Content Week, I wanted to show you all how I go about cutting my scrap LEGO rod into handle segments to make the grip for the newly modified 40K bitz that we prepped in yesterday's post.
This is the type of rod I use. It is the long drogue chute spoke that comes with the ODST Drop Pod. I have a bunch of them, but I only use the short spoke that comes in each package, so I have a few of these extra laying around, and they cannot be used for anything else.
First, you want to select a very small portion to be cut off for the grip. Really, it takes less than you think. I don't have calipers handy to measure, but I would guesstimate you only want the grip to be in the 4-5mm range. Then, because the clippers seem to cut through the last resistance and snap...energetically, you want to clip a weight to the end of the rod you are not holding on to, as seen in the above photo. This is so the trimmed portion does not go flying off into the unknown regions.

One last thing. This is something you would only learn by ruining a gun unless I tell you. Make sure to cut at an angle! The grips on LEGO guns are always slightly angled to make a more natural look in the hand of a minifig. Make your cut maybe 10 degrees off the perpendicular axis of the rod, and you should be good. This is one of those things you need to eyeball a few times before committing to a cut. Having an actual LEGO part handy while working is a big plus. Compare the angles, and make sure they look natural as you are working.

Thanks for stopping by. Remember to comment and follow, and I will see you all next time!

6 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

Neato.

Paws4thot said...

What diameter is that rod? I've got a bunch of various diameter plastic rod and tube in ~12" lengths (buy it from good model-making shops), and this might be more economical for people who don't have a bunch of the Lego part you use.

CounterFett said...

@ Paws4thot:

I'm not sure. I don't have my calipers handy. I think that would be more economical if you were getting the stuff specifically for this project. I just happen to have a bunch of scrap rods.

On the other hand, this is all stuff I was not using, so the idea of BUYING materials to me is wacky.

Loquacious said...

I have about a metric bamillion of those kinds of rods hanging around. I'm really interested in seeing how to use them.

BTW: could you show a picture of the angle?

CounterFett said...

@ Loquacious:

I just took a picture of a spare piece I have cut, I should have the post up before noon. I think seeing the finished product though might be more informative so you can see the angle is is supposed to produce in the attached grip. Photography of the individual parts seems not to produce super detail.

Paws4thot said...

@ CounterFett; ok, I originally bought the rod and tube sets for a project that involved making "working" "hydraulic" rams. I'm sure you can see how rods and tubes that are designed to slip into each other makes that sort of job way easier.
I just thought it might help some people. Anyway, my tube and rod pack goes up to 6mm (say 1/4") tube and 5mm rod (which fits inside the 6mm tubes.