Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Making LEGO Guns From 40k Bitz Part III

Welcome back Ladies and Gentlemen to another installment of my tutorial on how to craft your own LEGO accessories with left over plastic modeling bitz. In particular I make my pieces from Warhammer 40k Orks and Space Marines weapons. In the last edition we talked about cutting your handles with both the correct size and grip angle.
This time, let's have a look at gluing. Now, I use a basic cement that you can get for about $1 at Walmart in their paint/glue aisle. You can get away with this because (as far as I know) GW miniatures and LEGO are made of the same type of plastic. So the pieces mate well. In the picture above, you see a step that I am going to tell you is very important, that most people will skip over. Match up which ends you intend to cement before you do it!
The way I do this is that I use a couple of staples broken off of a refill strip, bent in a manner that I have a little tiny applicator with an offset handle.

The trick to using this type of cement is something I reverse engineered from when I was little and my dad taught me how to use Epoxy. He always said "Figure out how much you want to use, and then use half that amount." Well, what I do for cement is figure out how much epoxy my dad would use, then use twice that amount of cement.

That's it for now, folks! Remember to comment, follow, click ads, and we'll see you next time.

4 comments:

Spy_Smasher said...

I don't think they are EXACTLY the same type. Iirc, (and I may be wrong) GW uses polystyrene and Lego uses ABS, a styrene copolymer. Your point stands, however, that solvent-type plastic cement melts them both quite nicely.

Spy_Smasher said...

I forgot to mention that I love this idea.

Paws4thot said...

Spy_Smasher is correct about GW using polystyrene, and Wikipedia says that Lego parts are ABS.

I don't know the chemistry of your cement, but there are several polystyrene cements that do not melt ABS. Typical contents of an ABS cement are AMORPHOUS SILICA (*WEL) 1-10%
EINECS: 231-545-4 CAS: 7631-86-9
• 2,4,6-TRIMETHYLBENZOYL DIPHENYLPHOSPHINE OXIDE 1-10%
EINECS: 278-355-8 CAS: 75980-60-8
[-] R52/53; [Xn] R62
• N,N-DIMETHYLACRYLAMIDE 10-30%
EINECS: 220-237-5 CAS: 2680-03-7
[Xn] R21/22; [T] R23; [Xi] R36
• ISOBORNYL ACRYLATE 30-50%
EINECS: 277-561-6 CAS: 5888-33-5
[Xi] R36/37/38; [N] R51/53
• URETHANE ACRYLATE OLIGOMER 30-50%
[Xi] R36/37/38; [Sens.] R43

You don't meet several of those in plain styrene cements!

CounterFett said...

I threw the tube away when I was done with taking the pictures for this post, as the tube was near empty and quite old, so I cannot confirm the ingrdients vs. your list, but I can tell you it worked fine.

It was $1 at Walmart. That's what cracks me up about it. It's the best stuff I have ever had for the purpose, and is quite a bit better than the more expensive 'better' brands.