Thursday, May 5, 2011

Making Lego Guns From 40k Bitz, Part IV

Last time we looked at setting up to cement our pieces together, and how I like to do it. Today we will be wrapping up this project, and you can see each of the different pieces in their final form.
This is about how they should look after you are done with yesterday's steps. You will make mistakes at that phase. You'll get better. If you doubt that you will mess up a few as you read this, just have a look at that bolt pistol. See how long and ridiculous the handle looks? Yeah, I screwed that up but good. And I have already admitted that it was only by luck that I did not split any of those while I was cutting right?

Once you have let the cement glue for about a day, you can move on to painting. Letting the pieces cure is very important with cement, if you move on without giving enough time, cement seems to stay too elastic, and the parts will never really stay 'joined.' I'm not a scientist, so I can't tell you why this happens, but I sure know it does.

I use spray paint for this (and for base painting in general, really) because it is cheap, readily available, and nowadays, you can use Fusion paint to skip the primer phase for almost everything. I have used a lot of spray paint on minis in my life, and let me tell you, there is more technique to it than you would think. Remember to read the instructions on the can. When spraying, use even speed, hold the can upright, and do not start, stop, or turn your stroke while on the items you are painting. Make sure you do not saturate the items, as even if the side you are spraying looks right, model parts are small enough to pool on the underside.
Here, I have used a hammered finish Krylon fusion. I already had a can, otherwise I would recommend something from their excellent camo line, as you can see the metallic flakes in the paint have diminished the detail on the fine Games Workshop parts.

That's all for now, folks! I have had a ton of fun with this project, and I would like to thank all of you for your support! If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

2 comments:

Mik said...

This is pretty cool, I may have to give it a whirl.

CounterFett said...

It's a lot of fun really, and for someone of you converting expertise should be a snap.

Plus, I know you are like me, aand game with your LEGO, so it makes even more sense.