Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Painting Pre-Emperor Dark Angels Order Initiates Part 3

Well, due to the overwhelming level of advice I received yesterday regarding this project, I decided to go ahead and wash the squad with the burnt umber ink. To mitigate my fears, I tested it out first on one of those Fire Warriors I was so displeased with that I keep talking about. Suffice to say, he has a very uneven looking test wash. Nevertheless, I did prevail in finding a suitable mix for my Initiates squad.
And this is what they look like. I am pretty happy with this at this point. These pictures don't honestly look all that much better than the last batch, but that's more a commentary on my poor photography skills than anything else. I think these are currently hitting the edge of how far I am willing to push the envelope right now. The wash did add a good level of depth to the faces (as much as can be, I think they all have the same face), boots, and backpack. I did not mess up too badly, in the closeup I can tell I did get a little bit on the armor, but it's not that noticeable in person.

Now I just need to find something for that power armor...

2 comments:

Warflake said...

There coming along great mate! You've made me wanna read up on these.

CounterFett said...

I say give it a try. Most of the Dust Tactics models are usable for something you are interested in. I think the BBQ Squad and Laser Grenadiers would make great Storm Troopers (especially from the WH codex). The forthcoming Grim Reapers and Tank Busters would be great termies (or Sanguinary Guard for that matter). Light walkers would make good sentinels. Heck, I was even thinking of using the Pounder as a Predator counts as.

Plus, they have their own game you can play too.