Thursday, May 5, 2011

Vraks He-RAT-ics! My New Counts As Thing!

Sort of a little conversion idea I had brought on by some of the Skaven-counts-as-Dark-Eldar that has been floating around the internet. I alway liked the idea of the Skaven, love the semi-steampunk vibe and weaponry, adore the thirteenth fetish they have. Really, quite fond of the dirty rats.
But, when you get right down to it...I'm never going to play Warhammer Fantasy.

Now, I think I've hit on an idea that will mean I can have my cake and eat it too. I can have my rat horde army. I can have a low pressure conversion that is possible for me. I can play it in a rule set that I am comfortable with and already know.

All it takes is the Vraks Heretics army list. Sigh. That's a bit of a problem in itself, since some people think Forge World material is a no-no in anything but the most casual of games. Well, honestly, those are the only kind of games I play, so maybe I just don't need to worry about it.

So, what's everyone think? Good idea? Bad? Have any interesting ideas with the Vraks Heretics list that would lend itself well to Skaven models? I know I am thinking of Rat Ogres as Renegade Ogryn, but aside from that my mind is fairly open. That's just another great thing about going to a list that is somewhat underused.

7 comments:

sonsoftaurus said...

I plan on a Vraksian (Vol V or VII) army at some point, and planned to include Skaven figs too. The Rat Ogres as Ogryn or Plague Ogryn, Plague Monks as Mutants. I was planning to mix them in with marines/plague marines and regular troopers, but you could do them as straight up rats too. Heck, you could do regular IG too, and if you don't really want to include CSM at the same time, would probably be a better/easier way.

With a little bit of planning, you could easily make a force that can be used with either regular IG rules or IA rules.

CounterFett said...

I knew you'd want to chime in on this.

That's almost exactly what I was thinking. The only reason I wanted Vraks was because the 'renegade' rule for leadership should fit their 'verminous valour' to a T.

sonsoftaurus said...

If you go regular IG, can have some fun with special characters too. Ikit Claw would make a great Straken IMO, and a skaven assassin would be a natural fit for Marbo. Regular IG would also get you the Banewolf for poison icky sprays, though IA7 has fun chemical mortars. Again, easy enough to make a force that can use various lists with minimal swaps.

If you're not set on a guard-type list and don't mind marines (or making rat-marines) a CSM force could be fun too. CSM or plauge marines/ratrines, skaven as lesser daemons, rat ogres as spawn, vermin lord as summoned greater daemon or daemon prince.

CounterFett said...

That's awesome. I actually really like the CSM Ratrines idea.

It's always good to see all of my ideas have already been thought of, and usually better.

I can tell you've put a lot of thought into this.

sonsoftaurus said...

Um, yeah. (blush) Not for ratrines though, just lots of heretical thought in general.

If you like the CSM angle too, with a little work and like 1.5 armies worth of stuff you could potentially run under 4 different lists - IA5 heretics, IA7 heretics, IG, and CSM. Just rats/rat ogres&tanks - IA5, IA7, IG. Add PM - another IA7 option (or add CSM for IA5). More PM, fewer rats=CSM codex.

Good luck, look forward to seeing these guys take verminous shape if you end up making them!

CounterFett said...

This one I might actually do, rather than just theoryhammer, since, like I said, I have been looking for a way to include some Skaveness.

sonsoftaurus said...

BTW, you = stylish blogger nomination. See my site for details.