Sunday, June 19, 2011

Dark Eldar Pre-Order Review! Which Wave Is This Again?

I've lost track. And in my usual custom of waiting until the hubbub of the art teasers is over, this time I have over done it and I am doing my pre-order critique after these models have actually been released. How's that for patience? Anyway, on with the show.
Haemonculus. Since these guys are sort of the founders of the feast from this release, I might as well start here. I'm probably not astounding anyone when i let you all know that these are finecast resin in this release, but I do think it is important to note that this is likely the first release that was intended for the new resin rather than metal. So, what has GW done to amaze us? Well, the Haemonculus does have some amazing detail. Other than that, he's not that impressive. They have done the "I am a powerful bad guy" floaty pose, which I now refer to as Da Vinci's Anatomy of Haemonculus. Not real creative.
Ah, the grotesque. Here is the release from this wave where I think GW might really have used the new medium to its full advantage. This thing is impressive. Rippling, ropey muscle, protruding mechanical bits, and an overall impression of Frankenstein's monster gone bad. Still gives me a bit of a Cryx-y vibe, but I think that might be because of the paint. I give this one 4 mechanithralls out of 5
This wave's wracks herald the return of the samurai pants. I know I have sure missed them the past two waves! Popularized by the Mandrakes, now your Haemonculus can have an addition to his army that can say 'Hey, Dark Eldar are more culturally diverse than just Irish sado-masochists.' I almost said that I thought these were a bit too Cryx-y as well, though that is assuredly because of the paint. When you really stop and think about it, they are a bit reminiscent of Skorne. I'm not sure why I get such a PP vibe off of so many of the Dark Eldar releases of late, but I can't help it. I do like this the best of the three releases from yesterday, in that there is a bit of variety in the poses, and said poses are more dynamic that getting your arm length measured at you tailor.

2 comments:

Sgt. Brisbane said...

I agree that this release definitely gives off a PP vibe. That said, I do think the models are very static overall, which is a bummer.

The grotesque is just a weird pose and only one sculpt at 20$ is a mistake in my opinion.

The Razorwing, though, is a work of art!

An Enemy said...

Mmm...I look at them and see Hellraiser. Not a privateer press IP. I think you guys are projecting.