Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Self-Improvement Challenge! Day 1

That's right folks, Counterfett here, and I am calling myself out. I have a sedentary job, sedentary hobbies, and poor eating habits. I have let myself slide pretty badly in the past year, and I am in the unenviable position of needing to lose about 40 pounds. Additionally, I have lost valuable frangible skills at things I used to be pretty darn good at. So, in order to get myself back shipshape, I am instituting a few new policies.
  1. Better Diet. This one is in progress. I have actually cut out a lot of my major eating out, much to the detriment of my social life. 
  2. More Exercise. Again, this is already in progress. I rode the exercise bike for an hour and a half tonight, and I am taking the stairs instead of the elevator at work. 
  3. Sword. I can do some fencing drill in the back yard. It was great exercise, plus I like being able to know I can hold my own in one of the all too common saber fights which are sweeping the land.
  4. Pistol. This one is tough. There are not a lot of good ranges around where I live, nor do I have the time or money to visit them and burn the rounds. Additionally, I do not have a good system for cleaning afterwords or reloading my own rounds. My solution? Airgun + pellet trap = cheap practice. Hopefully I can get a spring gun for cheap that is quiet enough to use in my garage.
That's the plan folks. I think I am going to do a semi-regular progress report on here so that I can have some kind of sense of accomplishment. That way I am more likely to actually stick with it!

3 comments:

WQRobb said...

Good for you. I created incentives for myself to keep me from doing the stuff that I shouldn't do like snacking, et al. If I went a certain length of time, I'd splurge on something that wasn't unhealthy like miniatures.

Big Bad Garou said...

YAY! I am working on losing 25 pounds and exploring the world more. Don't worry. We got your back =)

The Happy Whisk said...

Go you. Rah.