Saturday, July 2, 2011

Heavy Artillery Captain America!

So, after giving Battlefield Captain America to my son, I decided I needed a Captain America for myself. Now, let me preface a few things here. I never read a Captain America comic book as a kid. I didn't really read ANY comic books, to be honest. Nevertheless, I was very much in favor of Captain America, and this was for a few reasons. I was (and am) very patriotic. I like that his 'powers' were that he was tough and a good soldier, and he had a shield. I ge tthat there is still some pulp sci-fi aspects in the vibranium and the super soldier serum, but this is how I saw it as a kid. Since I am basing my admiration on how I thought about Captain America when I was a kid, it seemed appropriate to me to have the Cap the way he looked when I was growing up.


To me, the 'standard' Captain America is the 'Heavy Artillery' version (figure number 02). As a bonus, I like that he comes with the normal shield that does not have any action features.
Yeah. Digging it. One thing I noticed today when I was at the store is that you have to be really careful when choosing a figure in this line to not get one that has major paint blemishes. I nearly decided to get the 'Heroic Age" Cap (I love Bucky!), but the paint apps on his chest star were awful! A Major part of this being the version of the Captain I chose was because his paint seemed flawless. There was one thing that I missed because it was covered by the packaging...
Awwww, come ON! Really? You put the painted serial number ON THE FRONT OF THE FIGURE! Gah! Well, I'll keep a lookout for a Bucky version with good paint, plus I still need Battlefield Cap, since I gave the other one to my son.

And I'll likely decide I need Winter Soldier. And while I am picking that up, I may as well just round out all of the phases of Bucky's career...

6 comments:

Super-Duper ToyBox said...

yeah, i've seen a lot of bad ones- unfortunately not all were visible IN the package... I got an okay one, Paratrooper Dive (w/parachute)

CounterFett said...

Yeah, Mario from a year of toys speaks very highly of the Para Dive Version.

I really want the Heroic Age version, but all the ones I have seen so far just have terrible painting.

SirDragonBane said...

Yesh, paint on these movie figure tends to be bad--at first. Somehow they improve when they get re-stocked after the movie itself hits cinemas. The Iron Man 2 line is the perfect exemple. Perhaps the factories are in a rush to push out the initial lots of figures on time and thus rush the job. So I guess if you can wait, you can get good paint jobs without having to look to hard. :)

CounterFett said...

Yeah, I've seen that to be the case in some other lines as well.

Really though, you should always check anyway, since even the best quality control can let some slip (I have a botched Master Chief from McFarlane as exhibit A). I looked at a batch at a different store this morning, and saw no such problems, so if your hypothesis is correct, the fix may already be in.

jboypacman said...

Am going to pick this one as soon as i can as i need a classic Cap. : )

CounterFett said...

Yeah, if you are on the market for a 'classic' Captain, eg. pirate boots, this might be the best version there is. Less articulation than some, but great sculpting and crisp paint. Having a good shield setup helps too.