Saturday, July 23, 2011

Mega Bloks & Marvel: What Does The Future Hold?

We knew LEGO was planning on taking advantage of the DC license due to its recent announcement about forthcoming comic sets. What we didn't know was that they also had a Marvel license. Many of you will have seen the newly unveiled Marvel sets from SDCC. I saw pictures of them myself this morning. So, I figured I would raise the question: what about Mega Bloks? I suspect their license is only for the movie releases, since the only Marvel characters I can think of that have been released have been either Iron Man, Spidey, Hulk, or Captain America characters. Nevertheless, I broke out two of my Halo Bloks marvel characters that have never made an appearance on my blog before, to look at them.

As you can see, they are both built off of a larger torso than the usual Mega Bloks fig, though having the same size hips and legs. While this does make them a little top heavy, it does not realy look that out of place, given the 'heroic' proportions of both Venom and the Incredible Hulk.
Venom Like Turkey!
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I never really bought into the Marvel Mega Bloks line. The only reason I have these two is that a co-worker bought two sets on clearance for a dollar each and gave me the figs. I prefer the Halo License toys they have put out, and I think those have been much more successful for them, if the toy aisles are any kind of indicator. On the other hand, I think the LEGO sets will make a lot of money, despite the fact that I feel the LEGO style minifig will be an inferior toy for playability in this scenario. Sort of like the difference between a DCUC and a Mighty Muggs.

1 comment:

jboypacman said...

Personally as much as i like Mega Blok Marvel stuff the Lego versions have really gotten me excited and i plan on getting what i can of them when they are released along with the DC stuff too. I think Mega Bloks will be fine as they continue with there HALO toys and they also have World of Warcraft stuff coming too.