This compendium is ironically named, as several of these stories are not what I would have considered 'victories,' nor are they all strictly stories of Space Marines (depending on how you classify renegades). It was a bit of a mixed bag, really, as each of the stories was a different author, instead of my usual pros & cons list, I'll do one themed around which of the stories I liked or not.
- The Rewards Of Tolerance. The aforementioned renegade story. While not a victory for the imperium, nor strictly space marines, it was still a good read, and an interesting take on what it might take to push valiant Space Marines over the brink.
- Black Dawn. I had never heard of the Warbringers, but I am a fan after this. Plus points for supreme irony in the ending.
- Exhumed. Deathwatch, 'nuff said.
- Sacrifice. Grey Knights. More of Justicar Alaric. Superb Grey Knight hackfest barely makes up for the gobs of italics (which as you know drives me batty!)
- Runes. I think I recently hit Space Wolf overdose. They really don't have to be in every book.
- The Long Games At Carcharias. Too contrary to the premise of the book.
- Heart Of Rage. I was so 'meh' on this Blood Angels piece that I don't even remember it.
- But Dust In The Wind. My first exposure to Imperial Fists, and unfortunately not much to my liking. This came the closest to making the pro list, but just missed out on sheer contrariness.
Final verdict? It's worth a read if you need more Space Marines. I was hoping I would enjoy it more, as a 4:4:1 finish may be decent for a soccer playoff, but not for an anthology.