Sunday, August 28, 2011

Ogre Kingdoms Pre-Order Review! Battle Beasts!

That's right folks, I have once more waited until the hubbub has died down a bit before breaking the All Things Fett silence about what we think about the new Ogre Kingdoms releases that have gone up for Advance Order at the Games Workshop Site. In This First Installment, we will be regarding the largest of the new models, the monsters/war machines.


Thundertusk/Stonehorn. This looks like an incredibly detailed model. All I can think of when I see it though is, 'Wow, an Ogre on a bantha!' I like the model, really I do. I think I have hit the point where I have to much scifi & fantasy stuffed into my brain, and everything I see hearkens me to something else.
Ironblaster/Scraplauncher. Hey, a new model for the scraplaun....wait, a giant cannon you say? Yes, folks, what we have here is indeed a giant cannon mounted on a Woolly Rhino! Who cares about the scraplauncher, we have a crew-served, city-busting bombard, and the crew is made of Ogre! I call this one a victory!
Mournfang Cavalry. After one set I didn't like, one set I loved, it seems only appropriate that the third set is one where I am pretty ambivalent. I suspect this is a set I am going to like for the parts it comes with, if not the units that the models themselves represent. For instance, I really like the pistol arm on the rider on the right. Other than that....meh.

Note: This is a guest post by KE554, since Counterfett is currently out of commission with nerve damage. Stay tuned folks.

4 comments:

Mike Howell said...

I can accept a lot of things in a fantasy environment, but the Ironblaster just offends my suspension of disbelief. There is no way that cannon could be supported by anything shown in that picture. It might as well have been mounted on top of the ogre's head.

Giant Sphinx monster? Flying goblin artillery? Zombie dragon? No problem. Giant cannon with no apparent mass? Problem.

CounterFett said...

True enough.

It was made by the Sky Titans though, maybe it only weighs as much as an English Swallow.

eriochrome said...

I think all the minis look cool but no desire to buy any of them or start WHFB.

CounterFett said...

I'm with you on fantasy, but I'm more interested in using the Ogre models as Ogryn or for other RPG games. As you might Imagine, Ogres are pretty prominent in my Swords & Wizardry campaign.