Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Getting Out Of GW With My Life (And Wallet)!

Yeah, it feels like that.
I recently finished the two latest installments of S.M. Stirling's 'The Change' novels. As usual, this got me all interested in Medieval and Ancient warfare, and how different and anachronistic cultures would fare in combat. And whenever that happens, I want to wargame! So, the upshot is that I will likely be posting a bit more about table top gaming.

On the other hand, I need to get out of the 'How can I represent this with a GW model?' rut that I have been into lately. Since this is a historical, rather than just fantasy or science fiction tangent, my life is made considerably more easy by the fact that most of the historical epochs I am interested in do not have models that can be easily converted from Games Workshop.

So here's what I am going to do. I downloaded the rules for Basic Impetus, which I have heard a lot of good things about from other gamers. I am going to do a smaller scale, in order to facilitate saving money. Additionally, I can experiment a little more because I am going to use super cheap and plentiful 1/72 (or HO scale) toy soldiers. It's fun, and it's the solution to a problem that has been bugging me for a while.

I'll keep you all up to date on how it goes.

Note: This is a guest post by KE554, since Counterfett is currently out of commission with nerve damage. Stay tuned folks.

1 comment:

Mike Howell said...

When the only tool you have is a warhammer.... ;-)